On Dec 21, 2008, at 9:43 AM, Michael Ash wrote:

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Scott Ribe <scott_r...@killerbytes.com > wrote:
I guess what Mike is proposing is that redrawing in response to
setNeedsDisplay is only deferred until the end of handling the current event? (And therefore only improves things when there are multiple calls on the same view.) This is at least consistent with the documentation, as far as I know. But I had assumed that somewhere the system was putting more of an effort into deciding when to redraw marked views. And my assumption, as far as I can tell, was also consistent with the available documentation.

That is indeed what I'm proposing. In other words, you'll always have this:

event: invalidate view
event: invalidate view

And never this:

event: invalidate view
event: invalidate view

I've seen both -- you can't guarantee one or the other.

IIRC, user events have priority over system-generated events (like redraws).