On Dec 22, 2008, at 4:19 PM, Rob Keniger wrote:
My app is using garbage collection and I'm running into a memory smasher bug where the app will crash at seemingly random times, with an EXE_BAD_ACCESS.

Obviously there is some reference to an object that is being released when I don't want it to be but I'm having a lot of trouble tracking it down as it is quite intermittent, so every time I fire up Instruments the crash never seems to occur.

Not necessarily.   Any number of things can cause crashes like this:

- trashing memory
- thread mis-synchronization
- something goes awry in the malloc zone

That it never happens under Instruments indicates that it might be a threading issue. Instruments employs some fairly intrusive interrogation methods and, thus, causes scheduling to be quite a bit different in a running application being interrogated by Instruments.

I've tried using the MallocStackLoggingNoCompact environment variable with malloc_history but my results have been inconclusive at best.

What is the best way to go about looking for this type of bug with Garbage Collection enabled?

Do you have backtraces from the point of the crash?

b.bum