On 23/12/2008, at 5:26 AM, Reema Sardana wrote:

Is there any range within which the values returned by the method rate() of the class NSSpeechSynthesizer lie? I see that the volume is always between
0.0 and 1.0.

--
Reema
http://www1.reemasardana.com/

Hmm... I see that the values for rate aren't in the new docs for NSSpeechSynthesizer in Leopard. The ability to set the rate wasn't present in this API until Leopard. In the Carbon docs it says:

soRate
Get or set a speech channel’s speech rate. The speechInfo parameter is a pointer to a variable of type Fixed. The possible range of speech rates is from 0.000 to 65535.65535. The range of supported rates is not predefined by the Speech Synthesis Manager; each speech synthesizer provides its own range of speech rates. Average human speech occurs at a rate of 180 to 220 words per minute.

This selector works with both the GetSpeechInfo and SetSpeechInfo functions and does not move memory.

Available in Mac OS X v10.0 and later.

I used the Carbon framework in my app.

Hope that helps.