On Dec 22, 2008, at 9:11 AM, Avery Nickelby wrote:

I've looked through the archives and the documentation; most of the
information is related to using NSNumberFormatter programatically. I am
looking for a good explanation for using 10.4 style data formatters in
Interface Builder; when I configure a number data formatter I can only get one of two behaviors (I've tried different permutations of the switches in
IB):
1) User MUST type in a currency symbol before the field accepts input. The
information is displayed as $123.45.
2) The user doesn't type in a currency symbol. The information is just
displayed in decimal format (123.45)

I want: The user types in a number. The formatter looks up the appropriate
currency symbol tied to the user-defined default locale and displays a
locale-specific format.

How do I get this behavior? Do I need to revert to the old style (which I
can get to work)?

It's not an IB solution, but you may want to take a look at NSFormatter's editingStringForObjectValue: method, which allows derived classes to specify a different string for editing (without the currency symbol) than for the displayed string (with the currency symbol).

Kirk Swenson
KCP Technologies