On Jan 6, 2009, at 10:44, WT wrote:

It just occurred to me, though, that the KVO mechanism *could* do something special for dependent keys, namely, pass the original change dictionary on to the observer of the dependent key. After all, it does know that it's dealing with a dependent key. As it is, once I get the notification for the dependent key, all information about the original change is lost.

It's an interesting concept, but creating additional values would increase the observation overhead. It's also not obvious that coordinating (and coalescing?) independent key changes would give consistent/useful results in the change dictionary.

The beauty of KVO is its, um, elegant minimalism.