NSSplitView's thin style produces 1 pt thick dividers. You can verify this by asking the split view for it's -dividerThickness. What's likely happening in your document is that one of your subviews has it's border style set to something other than "none" in IB. Your divider would appear to be 2 pixels thick, but one pixel would be the divider and the other would be the subview's border.

To change the color, you can use BWSplitView (which it appears you already have loaded in IB). It's a subclass of NSSplitView which, at the moment, only adds one feature which is being able to set the color for thin dividers in the IB inspector.

The two common divider colors are 64,64,64 and 165,165,165. Please don't use black. :)

Brandon