On Jan 11, 2009, at 12:24 AM, ewan.dela...@math.unicaen.fr wrote:

  I have a Cocoa app that performs some computations on
large integers (but still in the "unsigned long long" range), some
of which are entered by the user in a NSTextField.

Do you really need to exceed the long long range? NSString does support -longLongValue.

  It seems logical to deal with this problem by calling the
-(NSString*)stringValue method of NSControl, and implementing
a  -(unsigned long long)unsignedLongLongValue method for
NSString.

  This is what I did in my project, using the code below. I can't
help feeling that this code is dirty because it relies on the character
for the "j" digit being indexed as unichar number j+48. Can anyone
tell me what would be the clean way to do this ?

Definitely don't write your own parser that way. If you can, use NSScanner or sscanf. If you must work character-by-character, use character constants (e.g. '0' or '9') rather than the specific numeric Unicode code point values.

However, in this case you avoid even that.  You can use something like:

[[NSDecimalNumber decimalNumberWithString:aString] unsignedLongLongValue]

You could also use a NSNumberFormatter. Associate it with your NSTextField. Then, you can retrieve an NSNumber using the - objectValue method of the control, and ask it for its - unsignedLongLongValue.

Cheers,
Ken