On 12/01/2009 15:18, "Chunk 1978" <chunk1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> anyway, i started thinking about security of applications based on
> showing package contents.  as far as i know the only way for someone
> to crack an application is to have access to the package contents
> which lists the Unix Executable File in the Mac OS folder.

No, it's not.

> since apps are really just folders with a
> .app extension, wouldn't it be possible to disable "Show Package
> Contents", as with the new .pages files, so that it would make the app
> more secure (if not impossible to crack)?

I don't see how that would make anything more secure, just as marking files
as 'hidden' doesn't. With some appropriate changes to the code signing
mechanism, interface and requirements they could make it hard - though not
impossible - for cracked apps to act as drop-in replacements for their
legitimate antecedents. But I'm pretty sure that while it's possible people
will do it, even if the pay-off were to disappear :-(

Graham.

--
Graham Lee
Senior Macintosh Software Engineer, Sophos Plc.

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United
Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.