I'm just making sure I'm not missing something...

There's no system-defined way to go from a UTI to an old-style file type code (which the UTI docs seem to refer to as a "tag") and back again, am I correct?

For instance, my app can export files as TIFF, JPEG, or PNG. When the user makes the selection, I convert the selection popup menu to the appropriate UTI using the defined constants in UTCoreTypes.h (kUTTypeTIFF, et al). I'd like to generalize the subsequent code to take that UTI ("public.tiff" for example) and convert it to the appropriate type code ('TIFF'). The next logical step would be producing a file name extension based on that as well ("public.tiff" - > "tif").

*All* this information is contained in the table at <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/understanding_utis/utilist/chapter_4_section_1.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001319-CH205-CHDIJFGJ >, but I could discern no way to actually do these types of conversions in a general manner.

History: The reason I need to do this is, Photoshop is brain-dead when it comes to opening image files that happen to have no extension in the filename (and no file type code). Preview, QuickTime Player and GraphicConverter (and sometimes Safari) have NO problem identifying and opening the exact same files, sans extension, but PS simply says "Could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file." I am working around this by attaching type and creator codes to all the image files I export. (Yes, my client could avoid all this by simply including an extension to the image name, but old dogs, new tricks, and all that...)

Thanks!
randy