John,

See the following for a good tutorial:

http://www.sealiesoftware.com/blog/archive/2008/09/22/objc_explain_So_you_crashed_in_objc_msgSend.html

-Jeff

On Jan 14, 2009, at 1:04 PM, John Nairn wrote:

I occasionally get difficult-to-debug crashes where that last thing in the crash log is a message being sent, which ends up being a message sent to an object that has been released (I think it is objc_msg, but I am not looking at a crash log now). These happen much more often in Leopard than in Tiger.

Since I have many messages going to many objects, it can take me a long time to track these problems down (in one case several weeks). I am fairly certain it is not a notification message because I also remove objects as observers before they are deallocated. Is there a debugging tool that can provide more information about what message was sent to what object at the time of the crash?