On Jan 15, 2009, at 6:35 PM, Rob Keniger wrote:

as far as I can tell the Nib objects should just get cleaned up automatically as their root (the File's Owner) is no longer hanging around.

Note that the files owner isn't necessarily the owner / root of all objects instantiated by the nib file. It typically is, but not always.

I was just a bit confused by this page in the Memory Management guide:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/MemoryMgmt/Articles/MemMgmtNibObjects.html

"The File’s Owner of a nib file is typically responsible for releasing the top-level objects in a nib file as well as any non- object resources created by the objects in the nib."

Under GC you're not responsible for releasing anything. That comment doesn't apply to GC. You have the inverse responsibility though: Making sure that you have strong references to all objects that you're interested in keeping alive.

j o a r