On Jan 16, 2009, at 8:27 AM, David Harper wrote:
I have written a comparator that returns an NSComparisonResult based on the comparison of two objects as required for

[(NSMutableArray *)someArray sortUsingSelector:@selector(theSelector:)]

Now, I want this array to remain sorted after each insert. For now I am inserting, then sorting, but this is not ideal. Is there a way to perform an insert using the same selector to find the correct index before inserting?

In short, No.

You could use the selector to loop and insert. Just call the selector and check the comparison result return value.

HOWEVER, why do you want to keep the array in order? Have you quantified a real performance issue that you need to address?

Are you accessing the contents of the array after every insertion?

How many items are in the array?

Have you measured to see whether adding-at-end-and-sorting is faster/ slower than insertion-in-middle-or-beginning? Often, an insertion may be slow as the array has to move stuff around. But sorting can often be done in place.

b.bum