On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Chunk 1978 <chunk1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i'm manually creating a .DMG using Disk Utility... the process is that
> i create a template . DMG, make it look all pretty and stuff, then
> convert it to it's final . DMG... let's say now that the final . DMG
> is 20.2mb after it's been compressed/converted...
>
> oh, but i forgot to do something to a large file... so i go back to
> the template . DMG, delete the effected file, fix it on my local
> drive, and then send the fixed file to the template .DMG... time to
> convert!  now the .DMG is 20.4mb after it's been
> compressed/converted...
>
> i'm assuming this has something to do with .trashes, but i don't have
> access to that hidden folder on the template so i can't go in and
> REALLY delete the original file that i want deleted...
>
> what can i do?

Your template's free space is filling up with data which is now
unused. The compression phase isn't smart enough to exclude that data,
so the end result gets bigger.

How to avoid it? Just create a new template .dmg every time. Between
creation and conversion the only thing you should do on the .dmg is
copy files to it. The moment you start removing or replacing files,
you start building up garbage.

I highly recommend scripting the entire process. This is the kind of
thing you want to be able to do by typing a single easy command, not
have to slog through the whole process twice just because you forgot
something the first time. (This won't be the only time you forget
something important, I guarantee!) The time you spend scripting it
will pay itself back ten times over in the long run.

Mike