Hi Rick,

On 16/1/09, you wrote:

The design I'm trying to achieve is analogous to the way Xcode displays a "Targets" group and a "Bookmarks" group in the same outline view. If Core Data was used for this (and I don't know if it was), it seems clear that Targets and Bookmarks would be modeled as separate to- many relationships and entities, and yet they are nicely displayed in the same outline view.

I had to do something a bit more complex than what you want to do: I wanted to summarize results of large numbers of objects into an outline view for a report. In the end I had to create my own hierarchy of summary objects and display them -- which makes sense now but was frustrating realizing that I wouldn't be able to do it with judicious filtering and @summing the raw Core Data objects.

You could do the same but your case may be simpler. One possibility would be to make your entities in question descend from a single super class. That super class would only need the outline stuff (parent, children, isLeaf...) and whatever you want to display in the outline, perhaps 'name' (note: avoid calling an attribute 'description' -- binding issues...). Then, I think, you could hack a way to show the whole lot by binding your outline to the super class.

Cheers,

Steve