I don't follow what you mean about not making a permanent application. I had a look at Vvidget and SM2DGraph last year but I gave up at the same point as you did. It looked very powerful, but in the end I felt the DataGraph framework (http://www.visualdatatools.com/DataGraph/index.html ) more closely matched my needs. I've been happy with the choice and its developer. You might also want to check out an old thread that mentions some other options.

Rob