On Jan 22, 2009, at 6:48 PM, Andy Lee wrote:

I'm using AuthorizationExecuteWithPrivileges() to run /bin/rm within some uninstaller code. I thought I had everything working, but today it returned errAuthorizationToolEnvironmentError, which according to the docs means "The attempt to execute the tool failed to return a success or an error code." What does this mean? Under what circumstances might rm return nothing? The arguments I'm passing are "-rf" and the fully qualified path name, which contains a space but no wildcards or any other special characters.

In case it matters, I call AuthorizationExecuteWithPrivileges() a few times with the same AuthorizationRef.

Andy,

I don't know why you are running into this problem. Chances are others might not know either. This is not a sanctioned/supported use of AEWP.

In other words, if the answer to the problem is to (repeatedly) call rm, cp, mv or chmod via AEWP, the problem is usually misdefined.

Generally, you want to factor out the code that needs elevated privileges into your own tool, and execute that using Authorization Services. There is sample code on developer.apple.com which does this.

Jim