On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Vitaly Ovchinnikov
<vitaly.ovchinni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I implemented autosaving via -setAutosavingDelay call of
> NSDocumentController. I placed checkbox that allows to enable or
> disable autosaving in preferences and now think about removing this
> checkbox and leave autosaving enabled forever. Will I have any
> problems in that case? Maybe in some cases it is better to allow user
> to disable autosaving. Please share your experience.

Reasons not to autosave:

- I'm making some temporary changes that I don't want to keep.
- I'm running on a laptop and trying to keep the hard drive spun down.
- Saving is a long, slow process (either because it's a big file or
because it's being saved to a file server running on dialup in Outer
Mongolia) and it's annoying when it interrupts my work.

I'd say if you're going to autosave, go all the way and save the
document after every single change (maybe with some intelligent
coalescing so that you don't, say, write out a whole new file to disk
with every single keystroke). It's going to be confusing to have my
document be dirty after I change it, but magically become clean after
some period of time has passed.

Mike