On Jan 25, 2009, at 12:12 PM, Nick Zitzmann wrote:

On Jan 25, 2009, at 11:55 AM, Kevin Ross wrote:

I see that in the docs that the Chinese calendar is not supported on 10.4-5. Does anyone know if one of the other calendars (NSBuddhistCalendar or NSJapaneseCalendar maybe?) would be able to find the beginning of the Chinese New Year?

They won't. The Buddhist and Japanese calendars are pure solar calendars, and are identical to the Gregorian calendar, except that the epoch is different. The Gregorian calendar, for example, sets year 1 to the year in which Jesus was believed to be born in, whereas the Buddhist calendar sets year 1 to the Buddha's birth year, and the Japanese calendar sets year 1 in any given era to the year in which the then-emperor was crowned (which would be January 7, 1989 for the current emperor). But other than that, everything else is the same.

The Chinese calendar is a lunisolar calendar in which months begin and end based on the moon's appearance over Beijing, with leap time to make up for the ~12 day difference between lunar and solar years. There is some stuff in the ICU library that will help you figure out the position of the moon, which is also important in the Hebrew and Islamic calendars, but from there, it's up to you. There are some books on calendrical calculations that you might want to read...

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>

Thanks Nick, I was beginning to think that this was going to be more complex than I had hoped. I might just end up finding a large enough database of dates for relevant years and just reference that instead of calculating them. At least until I can study up on this lunisolar business.

Kevin