On 28 Jan 2009, at 17:08, Michael Ash wrote:

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 6:00 AM, Jeremy Pereira <a...@jeremyp.net> wrote:

On 27 Jan 2009, at 23:07, Graham Cox wrote:

However, I would argue that this is the C compiler behaving in a
deliberately inconsistent way, since in C, arrays and pointers are supposed to be the same thing. As buffer is actually a constant, taking its address should really result in a compiler error in the same way as int a = &123;

It's not the C compiler, it's the language. This behavior is required
by the language specification, so the compiler can't help but comply.

If you want to be pedantic, it is the compiler doing the behaving, it's the compiler doing the compiling, not the language specification. I put the word "deliberately" in to indicate that it is in accordance with the spec. Had I thought it not in accordance with the specification, I would have used the word "bug".

Now we can talk all we want about how these things "should" work, and
I agree that this behavior can be kind of odd, but the fact is that
it's a part of the language, a part of the standard, it is how it is,
and it's not going to be changed.

You don't have to accept something as sensible just because it is in a specification. You do, of course, have to put up with it, unless you have enough influence to get the specification changed.