Is there some means of detecting if an instance has been initialized?

I'm thinking not.  Apple's "NSObject Class Reference" says "The init
method defined in the NSObject class does no initialization", and
googling around on the topic has not produced any means of doing so.  I
ask here in case someone has some knowledge I have not been able to
find.  Even a definitive "No" would help, as I could stop searching for
an answer which doesn't exist.

Thanks,
David

--