I'm fiddling with a URL handler in my app and I noticed that if a modal session was running, the handler - registered with my NSApp's delegate - was not being called, even after the dialog closed. I looked around the docs for a bit to find a reason/workaround and discovered by chance that if I simply made the window's controller object the AE handler, then it worked; when the dialog is open, the handler is called. If the AE handler is NSApp's delegate, it doesn't.

I can't figure out *why* this happening though. All I do is call [NSApp runModalForWindow:window], so it's not as if the controller object is the delegate of the modal session and thus somehow something behind the scenes lets AEs fire. The controller isn't even the delegate of the window.

Does anyone know what's really going on here? Should AppleEvents always be firing during a modal session?

--
Seth Willits