Shawn Erickson wrote on Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:56 AM:

> DTrace is probe based. If a probe exists and is enabled it
> will fire and allow you to collect information.
>
> For example try the following in terminal...
>
> sudo dtrace -n 'syscall:::entry'
>
> With that said you need a provider that provides the probe
> points that you need. Apple has implemented many providers in
> 10.5. For example you can probe many aspects of message
> dispatch in the objective-c runtime or syscalls without any
> need to instrument your code. In terminal run "sudo dtrace
> -l" to see a list of providers in the system.
>
> I don't believe an Apple provider exist (or can exist) for
> general probing of C++ or C function entry and exit. You will
> have to instrument C++ methods and C function (aka make your
> own provider) to be able to use DTrace for what I think you
> are attempting to do.

...which is sort of what I'm doing now using -finstrument-functions.

BTW, I tried dladdr, but I ended up with the probe effect something awful.  I'm
sticking to my original method of writing everything to syslog, and then
parsing that out with a script.  Thanks for the help in trying to figure this
out.

Thanks,
Cem Karan