On 2 Feb 2009, at 8:05 am, Seth Willits wrote:

So it's not optimized to reject anything outside of the sub- rectangles? This sentence really threw me off. In retrospect and I can see that it simply means that it's doing a simple check up front like below, but it's a rather poorly worded description as it doesn't mention the sub-rectangles at all. Documentation fail. ;-)

I agree it's a long-winded way to say it's performing a basic intersection check, but I think it's probably historic - the subrectangles weren't available until 10.3 (I think, maybe it was 10.2?) so previous to that you only had the overall bounding box to go on. The docs may not have been revised since then.

--Graham