I seem to have tracked the problem a little bit. If I use this line:

_exporter = [[FrameMovieExporter alloc] initWithPath:[savePanel filename] codec:codec pixelsWide:size.width pixelsHigh:size.height options:options];

Things are messed up, but if I hardcode th resolution to 640x480, the image is correct, but it doesn't capture the whole image.