I have an NSOutlineView backed by an NSTreeController.

selectedObject = [[treeController selectedObjects] objectAtIndex:n]

gives me back an object (of the type) that I expect. However, when I then try to find where that object lives in the tree

[treeView rowForItem:selectedObject]

returns -1 (not found). I ultimately need to remove the object from the tree controller (using -removeObjectAtArrangedObjectIndexPath: presumably), but how do I get an index path to an object when I have *just* a pointer to that object? I can get an index path to the selection, but in this case, the object to be deleted may not actually be selected in the view. Based on the stuff I discovered below, I assume I need to be searching for the tree node representation of my object? How do I get that just from the object itself? Or do I need to remember that tree node information at the same time I get a handle to the object?

Thanks!
randy

-----
OK, I figured out the following part: NSTreeControllerTreeNode must be a NSTreeNode, on which I can call -representedObject, which returns me an object of the type I expect; I left the rest in here in case I'm mistaken somehow, someone can set me straight.

Even when I query the tree controller directly for its items, I don't get *my* object types back, but rather NSTreeControllerTreeNodes:

(gdb) po [treeView itemAtRow:1]
<NSTreeControllerTreeNode: 0x2a4a00>, child nodes {}
(gdb) po [treeView itemAtRow:0]
<NSTreeControllerTreeNode: 0x2d82b0>, child nodes { 0:<NSTreeControllerTreeNode: 0x2a4a00>, child nodes {}
        1:<NSTreeControllerTreeNode: 0x2a4fb0>, child nodes {}
}

Not only can I not find any documentation on this type, I can't even cmd-double-click or search to find *any* mention of it at all. Casting that to my object type was an exercise in futility (what was displayed was obviously not a valid object).