Forgot to add: As long as the returned type was the same. So instead.. inputString = [inputString StringFromMyMethod];

On 6 Feb 2009, at 13:32, harry greenmonster wrote:

Yes, memory management is a weak point of mine, which I'm currently trying to resolve. Last time I had any use for in-depth memory management was 15 years ago. By posing these questions I'm hoping to clear up grey areas, and they should not be taken as serious proposals for addition to the Objective C language.

However, from a usability point of view, my points are still valid. Code such as inputString = [inputString myMethod]; looks to me like inputString data is no longer wanted, which in my case it wasn't.

The examples you put forward are fair arguments as to why not to release objects in the manor I (somewhat unthinkingly) described.

But why can the compiler not replace the data at the memory location pointed to by the old 'inputString' without making a second pointer (with the same name). This would then pose no problems in the scenarios you put forward.?

I presume there are valid reasons for not behaving in such a way also?