On Feb 10, 2009, at 12:16 PM, Andy Bettis wrote:

I have an id object that I'd like to test to see if it's a certain class or a subclass of that class. isKindOfClass gives a very specific test, is there an easy way to test for an object being a subclass of a class?

See isMemberOfClass:, which is just below isKindOfClass: in the documentation.

Actually isKindOfClass: is the *less* specific method.

If you want to check whether an object's class is strictly a subclass of MyClass, and not MyClass itself, you'll have to do something like

if ([myObject isKindOfClass:[MyClass class]] && [myObject class] ! = [MyClass class]) {
        NSLog(@"myObject's class is strictly a subclass");
    }

(Note the above is typed in Mail off the top of my head.)

Out of curiosity, why do you want to do this? Sometimes (though not always) testing for class membership is a sign your object model could be improved.

--Andy