I'm creating an application that watches certain folders for new files, and then performs various tasks on these files. I'm developing it as a Foundation Tool that will run in the background.

I'm having difficulties deciding how best to implement the folder watching code. I was really hoping there would be a Cocoa way of doing this, and NSWorkspace looked promising except that it appears that the notifications don't actually work - is this correct? I certainly couldn't get them working and I found lots of discussion topics where other people said they did not work.

So I started looking at Carbon. FNSubscribe looked promising except that it appears to be designed for GUI apps. The new Leopard File System Events API looks great except that I need this app to also be compatible with Tiger.

So all that leaves is kqueue. Is that my only option?

Thanks,
Mark.