Under some circumstances (e.g. expired license), I want my app to present a message to the user at launch time then Quit when they dismiss the message. I'm wondering what the best way to do this is.

I thought I'd put my checks in the app delegate's - applicationWillFinishLaunching: method, but when I present the alert using [NSAlert runModal], the app continues opening a new document in the background, and the alert itself ends up inactive. While the user can't do anything with the opened document (and the menubar isn't installed either), it's all a bit ugly. So my first question is about how to handle that more cleanly.

The next question is about actually terminating. I currently simply call [NSApp terminate:] which works, but I'm a bit worried that there could be a way that this won't actually Quit, since it's only a request to Quit, not a command. For example if the user launched the app by double-clicking a file that needs some conversion as it's read in, the document gets marked as dirty, and that allows a way for the user to cancel the Quit. Is there a way to legally Quit an app, no questions asked?

tia,

--Graham