On 2009 Feb 14, at 08:36, Michael Ash wrote:

http://www.mikeash.com/?page=pyblog/dont-use-nsoperationqueue.html

If you read all the way to the end you'll see that NSOperationQueue
can be induced to crash even when using only *one* queue in the entire
program, so you can't save yourself by sharing a single global queue
as was once thought.

Actually if you read ^all^ the way to the end you'll see my results which say that, on my early 2006 Core 2 Duo Mac Mini, the crashes only occur if you have more than operation queue. I do not doubt the results of Michael and others, though; it may be hardware-dependent.

Getting back to the original question, I would say that a single global queue is the norm. It will be a simpler and more straightforward design in most apps. And as a bonus, it ^may^ not crash as often.