There has been a repeated advise to use Shark.app to measure before optimisation.
So I decided to follow this advise.

Started my app, then started Shark and selected my app, hit Start, did something in my app, hit Stop.

Got an impressive display which consisted (almost exclusively) of calls to an "Unknown Library" with nice hex symbols followed by [unknown].
Like:
        24.8%   88.5%   Unknown Library  0x245c [unknown]
There was an exclamation sign on the left, which told me to use "Generate Debug Symbols", so I looked for this in Xcode and saw that it was checked. Also: no stripping was done.

So: why is everybody so enthusiastic about Shark when it is absolutely useless for me?

My code resides in: "/Volumes/เม่น/Users/gerriet/Some/Path/to/ Project". But I simply cannot believe that nobody ever has told Shark that the days of MacRoman are over and that there is something like Unicode. (But then: it took AppleScript about 17 years to discover this, so who knows?)

Another possibility: "/Volumes/เม่น" is case sensitive. But why should fishes get confused by cases?

What can I do to avoid optimisation without measuring?

Kind regards.

Gerriet.