On Feb 16, 2009, at 3:13 PM, Jean-Daniel Dupas wrote:

Le 16 févr. 09 à 13:44, Andreas Grosam a écrit :

Hello,

how does a NSTimer object that has been setup with a repeating time interval calculate the time when it fires an event?

There may be two possibilities:
Say, the initial time is at t0, the interval is T, and the time when it fires the first event is at t1, the second at t2, etc.
The time when it fires the ith event will be ti:
A)
ti = t (i-1) + T

B)
ti = i * T + t0

Reason:
If I need a "tick" that corresponds to a current time, I would prefer method B (mean error remains stable). In case A the firing time may fade away with respect to the initial time due to inherent inaccuracies. Although this error is certainly small compared to the error that we have when we measure the time when we actually do handle the event, but it may accumulate over a long duration. That is the error increases with time.

The class overview in the NSTimer reference page adresses this topic in a detailed way.

A repeating timer reschedules itself based on the scheduled firing time, not the actual firing time. For example, if a timer is scheduled to fire at a particular time and every 5 seconds after that, the scheduled firing time will always fall on the original 5 second time intervals, even if the actual firing time gets delayed. If the firing time is delayed so far that it passes one or more of the scheduled firing times, the timer is fired only once for that time period; the timer is then rescheduled, after firing, for the next scheduled firing time in the future.

Thank you all,

this is the paragraph that answers my question. Sorry, I read the documentation, but as frequently, I tend to skip exactly those paragraphs which I am looking for ;)

Regards
Andreas