Am 19.02.2009 um 22:17 Uhr schrieb Ken Tozier:

I tried writing my own table class from scratch that allows for not just cells but entire views to act in the role of cells in traditional NSTables. This worked to an extent, but one requirement, that projects can each have a different number of pages, made vertical refreshing really squirrely when pages are added or deleted to a project. It took me over a month to write the class and still it didn't work like I wanted.

Hm. Yet another hint at my own class:

http://www.harmless.de/cocoa-code.php#collectionview

While it only supports a single column, you should be able to do what you want by adjusting the view for each row.

What is the best way to do this? I took a look at Leopard's NSCollectionView class but even this seems to fall short as you have to explicitly define the depth of the subviews and my subviews must vary in depth.

You mean in height? AMCollectionView does support rows with different heights.

Andreas