Yea that is exactly how I have it currently as I described in my mail. But to maintain that has unnecessarily extra steps. My Controller extends my own custom controller class (which extends UIViewController) which adds the common functionality I require to the types of apps I'm building. But there is no way my view (which contains x amount of sliders, labels, and switches specific to the application laid out manually the way I want them to look) and model (parameters very specific to this application) are reusable. Which is why my question was about the performance of reading from the controls directly.