Thank you for the hints. I eventually solved this problem by setting up a box that took up the whole window in IB, and setting the autosizing so that it resized automatically with the window. I then set the content view of the box with the view. The flickering has stopped when the window is resized. Here is the code I used:

-(void)displayViewController:(NSViewController *)vc
{
        NSWindow *w = [box window];
        NSView *v = [vc view];

        // Compute the new window frame
        NSSize currentSize = [[box contentView] frame].size;
        NSSize newSize = [v frame].size;
        float deltaWidth = newSize.width - currentSize.width;
        float deltaHeight = newSize.height - currentSize.height;
        NSRect windowFrame = [w frame];
        windowFrame.size.height += deltaHeight;
        windowFrame.origin.y -= deltaHeight;
        windowFrame.size.width += deltaWidth;

        [box setContentView:nil];
        [w setFrame:windowFrame display:YES animate:YES];
        [box setContentView:v];
}