>>> What IB should do, of course, is let you type in symbolic names for
>>> your
>>> tags and generate an include file containing a set of unique
>>> #defines.
>>> That's what I'm used to on a certain other OS, anyway.
>>
>>  Absolutely agree. File a request. :-)
>>
>> --
>> I.S.

> What you have there, if I'm not mistaken, then, is essentially the
> concept of a represented object that's a string, yes?

> Cheers,
> Andrew

No, it's an object (or, if you like, an action) represented by a symbol:

// Generated by IB
#define IDC_CUT      1
#define IDC_COPY     2
#define IDC_PASTE    3

// Coded by Joe Soap
switch (tag)
{
    case IDC_CUT:
    case IDC_COPY:
    case IDC_PASTE:

It frees you from worrying about what the numerical values actually are.  IB
should [be free to] assign those, although there might be issues if you want
values to be unique across more than one NIB (Visual Studio handles this by
allowing you to set a 'starting value', per resource file, e.g. 1000, 2000,
...).