Why is NSTextView slow for you ?  What profiling have you done, and what does
it say is taking all the time ?

I have used NSTextView happily with 100 MB text files before.

I have seen slow behavior under the following conditions:
- Change the text content (NSTextStorage) from within -drawRect: or one of the
layout methods.  This is unsupported and in the best case causes combinatorial
re-layout.  In the worst case it produces incorrect display. Don't do this.
- Pragmatically insert text just before the visible page: NSTextView may
have to perform page layout of text before it can redraw the visible page.  The
solution that works for me is to coalesce frequent changes to text and perform
fewer total inserts.
- Use of complex text containers.  They need to be fast in order to keep layout
fast.