Hi,

I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me with.

First you should know, my application is in two parts, one part is a
daemon that runs in the background and the other part is a standard
gui.

1/ Is it possible to determine if your application is in the users
dock ? I know I can use the dock tile class if the application is open
and therefore know the application is in the dock, but what I'd like
to know is if it's possible to determine if an application is in the
dock without it being open, as in the user has right clicked and added
it to their dock, or dragged it in from their applications folder. The
reason I'd like to know is because if the user doesn't have the gui
open, I'd like to daemon to alter the dock icon to highlight to the
user that they should open the gui as some changes have occurred since
last time they opened it.

2/ The daemon part is scheduled to check a web based service several
times a day and downloads certain pieces of information when they have
been updated. I'm currently using an NSTimer to do this, is this the
best and most efficient way of achieving this type if process ? Can
anyone suggest any other ways of doing it ?

Thanks

-Mic