hi Steve,
this ADC article:
http://developer.apple.com/safari/articles/creatingrestfulclients.html
should give you all required pointers I think. Even if written as example of REST with Ruby it describes how to do POST/GET (and others) based requests to server side. Examples in article are synchronous ones and you could find it more efficient or better suited for your application to use asynchronous requests with NSURLConnectionDelegate (that part is quite good documented in documentation that ships with Xcode I think),

regards,
Peter Blazejewicz