I am having trouble with proximity searching using Search Kit under OS X 10.5.6.

I have two simple text documents in my index one just contains the phrase

"Sometimes I am amazed at how stupid Scotty can really be!"

and the other contains the phrase

" I am amazed at how stupid some people are compared to the brilliant Scotty and the mac"

When I declare the index I do it with the following code.

NSDictionary *properties = [NSDictionary dictionaryWithObjectsAndKeys:
                                                        0, @"kSKMaximumTerms",

kCFBooleanTrue,@"kSKProximityIndexing", nil];

filesIndex =  SKIndexCreateWithMutableData(
                            (CFMutableDataRef)[NSMutableData data],
                                CFSTR("Files Index"),
                            kSKIndexInverted,
                                (CFDictionaryRef)properties);

When I do a search on the phrase "amazed at how stupid some" only the file containing the second phrase is returned which seems correct but if I search for the phrase "amazed at how stupid Scotty" the search returns both files which does not match my expectation from the documentation.

If I was just searching for the separate words it would make sense but not when searching for a phrase. The docs all say Search Kit only supports phrase searching not proximity searching so I would only expect to receive the file containing the first phrase as a result for this second search.

I am going mad, doing something stupid or just mis-understanding this whole thing completely.

Thanks in Advance

Scotty
The Mac Developer Network
http://www.mac-developer-network.com