Subclassing isn't always an option (For example, NSButton is a class cluster).

I've done something like this for iPhone, where I've embedded the control in a UIView, then set userInteractionEnabled to NO on the control, so that the tap events would fall through to the UIView underneath. The UIView handles the events how it needs to, then passes the taps back to the control for proper visual behavior.

I'm not sure how that would translate to the Mac, but maybe it helps you. =)

Cheers,

Dave