>> Well, that's patently untrue. It can just return a temporary object with
>> retain count of 1.

> No, it can't. I specified a Get function, where convention specifies
> that the caller does not own it. Even if Apple were willing to break
> with convention, such a change would cause every existing client of
> the API to start leaking.

Ah, right, sorry.  I'm not saying the existing API would permit such a
change, more's the pity.  All I'm saying (and I doubt that saying this has
any value) is that it could, and in my opinion should, have been done that
way in the first place.

Forgive me for cluttering up the mailing list with what is basically just a
bit of a rant.  Subject closed as far as I am concerned.  Your page of
objective C benchmarks is very handy by the way.