On Mar 13, 2009, at 4:20 PM, Sean McBride wrote:

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a cheap, modal, indeterminate progress dialog, but
I'm having trouble animating the progress bar.

(Yes, I know this is only slightly better than the spinning wheel of
death. Yes, I know I should thread my long running code. Yes, I know I
should not block the main thread.  One day...)

The docs for NSProgressIndicator's setUsesThreadedAnimation say "This
value is only a hint and may be ignored". Indeed, sometimes it animates
and sometimes it does not.  I can't find any pattern.

Is there a way to reliably make an NSProgressIndicator animate while the
main thread is blocked?

I have had success using -beginModalSessionForWindow: and an NSTimer that calls a method that checks for an end condition and calls - runModalSession:.

I have mostly used this in cases where I needed asynchronous behavior but I need to block the UI.

HTH,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.