On 15 mar 2009, at 01.14, Paul Sanders wrote:

I was referring to where the OP said:

"but would it be safe, given the fact that sum and count are bound to some textFields / progressIndicator"

And presumably it would not be as the instance variables referred to were being mutated in a secondary thread.

That's right. If you've established bindings to some property of an object, it's no longer OK to update that property from background threads.

Please refer to the Cocoa thread safety documentations:

<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Multithreading/Introduction/Introduction.html >

Not my area of expertise though, I have to say. Not in Cocoa anyway. I am used to a more robust threading model.

I'm curious, what is not "robust" about the Cocoa threading model, and what are you comparing it to?

j o a r