> I have seen a couple of fairly nice solutions, and lots of really
> awful ones.  Generally speaking, the awful ones try to go to great
> lengths to be sneaky and hide files or other data in places in your
> computer they shouldn't be messing with.

Its worth pointing out that most hacker-types know about 'fs_usage' -
there's little "hiding" that your app can do without being seen by those
who want to know.

http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATION/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/
fs_usage.1.html

Just make the uninstallation process cumbersome enough that people will
want to buy your product rather than uninstall/reinstall once a month.

Use a real installer, not just drag+drop, so that your install process
can write the expiry info into a file that's checksummed/signed however
strongly you like.  Then, if that file goes missing (say, someone writes
a cron-job that runs once a day to remove your file), require a
re-install rather than just recreating it.