El 20/03/2009, a las 19:41, Robbie Hanson escribió:

How can I know if a fired timer has already been "invalidated" using setFireDate? Consider the following pseudo-code:

- (void)dequeueNextOperation
{
        // IF there is another operation in the queue
        // Dequeue and start opertation...

        // Start timeout timer for operation
// Instead of creating a new timer for every operation, we'd like to simply recycle the same one [timer setFireDate:[NSDate dateWithTimeIntervalSinceNow:op- >timeout]];
}

// Called when the operation has completed
- (void)operationComplete
{
        // "invalidate" timer
// We have learned that this will not always prevent the doTimeout: method from being called
        [timer setFireDate:[NSDate distantFuture]];

        // Notify delegate of completed op

[self performSelector:@selector(dequeueNextOperation) afterDelay: 0.0];
}

- (void)doTimeout:(NSTimer *)aTimer
{
        // Is there anyway to tell if this timer has already
        // been "invalidated" in the operationComplete method?
}

Perhaps there is something clever I can do with the timer's userInfo variable or something?

Just to let others to know, we have already solved this in the CocoaAsyncSocket class pages of code.google.com.

Basically what we have to do is to use the userInfo property of the timer to store a collection (for example a dictionary) with information of its state. When we "invalidate" the timer by setting its fire date to the distant future in the operationComplete method, we should also set a flag in the userInfo dictionary so we will know its state in the doTimeout method, in case the timer was already scheduled to fire and it does. That's the easier approach.

Joan Lluch-Zorrilla