On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Ben Lachman <blach...@mac.com> wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2009, at 5:47 PM, Corbin Dunn wrote:

>>> I was thinking this was easy, but now I'm not so sure.
>>>
>>> How do you call through to some arbitrary class in a class's inheritance
>>> chain?
>>
>> It's definitely the way to do it.
>>
>> Just send it on to [self nextResponder]. that's all!
>
> Ah! Thanks Corbin.  Thats the right (and easy) way to do it.
>
> For the record, this works too (and supports tiger, I'm not sure if Kyle's
> code does):
>
> - (void)scrollWheel:(NSEvent *)theEvent {
>        void (*responderScroll)(id, SEL, id);
>
>        responderScroll = (void (*)(id, SEL, id))([NSResponder
> instanceMethodForSelector:@selector(scrollWheel:)]);
>
>        responderScroll(self, @selector(scrollWheel:), theEvent);
> }

Right, that would be my preferred way of doing it. I like to use the
NSObject methods rather than the ObjC runtime functions where I can,
since the NSObject methods are usually friendlier and more broadly
compatible.

As to the question of doing this versus simply manually sending the
message to the next responder, it's really just a question of
preference here. I like letting the existing code handle things, but
since this particular method is so simple, and its documentation
precisely states what it does, it really makes no difference here. For
something where the super-superclass does something more complex, this
technique would have a significant advantage.

Mike