On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Michael Vannorsdel <mikev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Guess I should clarify.  Has anyone verified it; I've had an issue with
> partial writes archiving built-in classes.  The program used to get signals
> to terminate and archive some basic classes (NSArray, NSString, NSNumber) to
> disk.  But these files would only contain some of the archive about 10% of
> the time (just truncated), missing ending key closes ect.  This has since
> gone away when I switched to AE (wasn't my idea to use signals) but I still
> wonder if it really is atomic or not.

You cannot run arbitrary code from a signal handler. The sigaction man
page has a list of what library functions *can* be called from a
signal handler. *Everything* else is off-limits, including all of
Cocoa and all of the Objective-C runtime.

You were doing it wrong, now you're doing it right, and your problem
went away. Seems like no surprise there!

Mike