UIActionSheet might be an appropriate alternative to the AlertView.

HTH,

Dave

On Mar 29, 2009, at 3:28 PM, WT wrote:

Hello,

in the iPhone application I'm writing, I need to display an alert that may have 2 or 3 buttons, depending on whether or not the device supports some features. The first 2 buttons always have the same titles in the two scenarios but, in the 2-button scenario, the buttons appear side-by-side rather than vertically oriented (which is the orientation used when there are more than 2 buttons).

The problem is that the button titles get truncated if the buttons are side by side, so I would like to force the buttons to be laid out vertically even when there are only 2 buttons. Yes, I could try to change the titles (which I have already done my best to) but that imposes what, in my opinion, is an unnecessary restriction.

Alternatively, I could have the third button disabled and do it all with only one 3-button alert, but it doesn't seem possible to configure alert buttons in that fashion.

Right now, I'm resorting to putting up TWO alerts, each with 3 buttons. If the user presses the button corresponding to unsupported features, I put up the second alert (explaining that the device doesn't support the selected features), with the same first 2 buttons, and a third one to "quit" to the home screen.

It works, but it's not very satisfying.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Wagner