The function that you probably need is FSCatalogSearch. It's a very fast function and it returns, among other data, a pointer to an array of FSRefs of the found files. You can put this function inside a function that iterates across all mounted volumes, using FSGetVolumeInfo.
Examples can be found in the GrabBag sample code:
http://developer.apple.com/samplecode/GrabBag/listing1.html

Leonardo Borsten